There are two main Anglican churches in St Pancras are: St Pancras Old Church (4th century A.D) and St Pancras New Church (19th Century).
St Pancras Old Church
No accurate date can be ascertained for the foundation of St Pancras Old Church, but various sources suggest around 313 or 314, which makes the area of St Pancras very old indeed. The Reverend Weldon Champney claimed to have seen documents in Rome relating to the foundation of a church in this area during the fourth century.
In 604, King Ethelbert of Kent (died 616) granted the land to St Paul’s Cathedral. Their land is confirmed in the Domesday Book.
313/314 – Foundation
604 Land granted to St Paul’s Cathedral
1642 – Fifty soldiers lodged at St Pancras church during the Civil War
1822 – Church was too small for the parish, so all parochial rights were transferred to the new parish church in Euston road (see below). St Pancras church became St Pancras Old Church, and became a chapel of ease. It eventually fell into disuse.
1847 – Church was derelict, so it was decided to restore it.
1854 – Churchyard closed to reburials
1877 – Gardens opened
1939 – 1945 – the church was badly damaged by various bombs.
1948 – Repaired and restored under the Reverend JFR Westlake
1985 – the church was vandalised by Satanists. It was restored soon afterwards.
2003 – the clock was restored by Smith of Derby
2007 – disabled access work was completed
2009 – a sculpture by Emily Young was placed near to the entrance of the church with words by Jeremy Clarke: “and I am here in a place beyond desire or fear”.
At the north wall of the nave there is an exposed part of old Norman masonry, and in amongst this are Roman bricks and tiles. However, the church that can be seen now is from the “restoration” of 1847-1848, which included the demolition of the West tower (which dated from 13th Century). The nave was lengthened to 30ft to the West and the interior of the church was turned into a preaching box, and a new tower was built over the South porch .
St Pancras New Church
The building was begun on 1 May 1819 and the first stone was laid by the Duke of York on 1 July 1819. The whole structure was complete by April 1822. The consecration by the Bishop of London took place on 7th May of that year, the sermon being preached by the vicar, Dr. James Moore. More information coming soon.